Search

About Me

My photo
Durham, North Carolina, United States

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Semanas

T-2 Semanas ("say-mah-nahs" n. weeks) Until Landing. 

Where has the time gone? Alrighty...so what have I been doing since my one huge Peruvian adventure ended and now only have two weeks left? I've been getting to know my city and my country a little bit better and finishing off my schoolwork one paper and project at a time...all while trying my best resist the urge to run outside in the sun I've been waiting for all along and scream "YAYYY SUMMER!!"
¡CHILE!
CHI-CHI-CHI-LE-LE-LE
One of the experiences I think essential to any study abroad experience is attending a national league fútbol ("fu-oot-bowl") game. Don't you dare say soccer. When I studied abroad for a short time in Spain, participating in the futbol culture was one of my favorite parts, especially considering they won the Eurocup for the first time in over sixty years while I was there back in 2008. Now, in 2011, countries are already playing World Cup 2014 qualification games, and I had the chance to attend Chile vs. Paraguay in the National Stadium in the capital city, Santiago.
World Cup Brasil 2014 Qualifiers!
A bunch of gringos and a few Chileans all piled into a chartered bus together and make the hour and a half trek over to Santiago, essentially tailgating along the way and painting faces/bodies/clothing/flags. Ironically, once we got to the stadium there was no Jumbo-Tron screen to project video of everyone all painted like they would do in the USA, and all the guys with painted chests ended up sitting in different sections anyway. In the hours before leaving, I bought a giant Chilean flag and paraded around with it like a cape and painted my face with Chilean flags as well because it was impossible to find a jersey. It was such fun to see Alexis Sanchez, hero of Chile and star of the Barcelona team (some say the best player in the world), play on his home stage. Luckily, I learned a whole new plethora of cheers in Spanish and Chile destroyed Paraguay 2-0!

Once back from all the mayhem of fútbol in South America, it was back to school and back to business. Last Saturday I helped to paint a mural at the girl's home next door that I volunteer at each week. We painted an ocean scene and the hope is that each study abroad group that comes to volunteer will paint another little mural alongside it until the whole back wall of the outdoor play area is covered. The girls got filthy and we got a bit painted ourselves as well but in the end it was a great result (however questionable some of the "fish" may be).
Hogar Teresa Cortes Brown Mural
Last week one of my friends and I had to make a video about something in the city of Valparaíso and we chose to document the national student movement that has been happening during our time here in Chile. Despite inhaling a fair amount of tear gas and running from water cannons over our months here in Chile, we were able to capture some exciting footage. We also recorded a poem about the city that you may not understand but just consider it an "artistic soundtrack." Juuust in case you were wondering, we received a perfect score! :)  'Click for Poetry/Video Project I did about student protests since I've been here!

Back at Hotel Piero where our journey began
Some of you have been asking me if it was weird to be abroad for Thanksgiving, aka "Día de Acción de Gracias," and yes, it was very strange. Thanksgiving is a sacred holiday in my household, in fact the only one we host ourselves. I spent my Thanksgiving this year outside tanning, then to a Goodbye Dinner at Hotel Piero ( in Reñaca, where we had our orientation over 4 months ago) for my program that yes, served us Turkey but seemed to forget mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberries, and most any other side dish we Americans are used to. The desserts made by my friends in the program, however, made up for whatever the main meal lacked. I think 75% of our total food intake was scrumptious sweets piled high on little plates we sheepishly took back to our seats, attempting to hide the portions behind our hands before stuffing face. Some of the delicacies included chocolate truffles, a million cookies, key lime pie, pecan pie, apple pie, scotcheroos, ice cream, mint brownies, and a million other mouthwatering temptations. After the meal each CIEE class presented something representative of the semester and then the photo contest winners were announced. There were 2 categories and a $100USD prize for each of the winners. Many thanks to Anne Napoli and Katlyn Leach for helping me decide what to enter into the contest- I came in the top 3 for each category but didn't win! I will set up a link to my 8 entries (you could enter 2 into each category) soon. Finally, nearly 30 of us walked to the beach to read out some hilarious and sentimental superlatives made by a few of our friends. The night was still young, so we took a bus to Valparaíso to go dancing until the wee hours of the morning. While it may not have involved my Dad's famous soup creations (which I understand my brother took over this year?), lamenting the snow and cold weather, fighting for a drumstick, or drinking sparkling cider with my favorite cousin...it was quite the Thanksgiving to remember.






No comments:

Post a Comment